Friday, February 16, 2007

Well, here’s a long overdue update on what I hope is still progress on being a donor. Sorry that I haven’t posted in a while... I am now on meds to lower blood pressure and cholesterol. After the endoscopy at UCSF, it was found that I have an esophageal problem, so I am now on meds for that, too! I am told that it is inconsequential to donating - hope that is true... OMG - here I thought I was the most healthy (albeit a tad overweight) person. So I’ve lost about eight pounds, and am still on my exercise program, although a nasty case of some unrelenting gastrointestinal virus had sidelined the exercise for a couple of weeks.

My friend has found another donor possibility. This donor guy is just starting the long, and rigorous testing program, so he is still an unknown, and will be for a couple of months. If he is successful, then that is just absolutely great. If something is found within him that is a problem, then that may coincide with the same time that I may be able to ask to be reconsidered. So I am keeping on keepin’ on with my program... One factor that we already know is that this donor guy has some kind of genetic, inherited blood disorder that is supposed to be minor and of no consequence to being a donor, but I know from experience that when it is scrutinized by his transplant team, it may be a different story....

I received a most endearing telephone message from my friend on Valentine’s Day, asking me to be his Valentine, and telling me how much he loves my friendship, and how much he appreciates my long support of him and everything I’ve done to try to stay in the donor program. I was very touched....

He is such a wonderful person and so much deserves a chance at life. I’ve told you before that he is just like a brother to me, and I am so proud that he is part of my extended family. Thanks again to everyone for being so supportive, and keep on thinking positive thoughts for my friend and for my donor goal....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home