Tuesday, January 16, 2007

A glimmer of hope, but it all depends on me... I spoke with the care coordinator at UCSF earlier today, and she has agreed to bring my medical record back to my transplant team in four to six months if I can lower the uric acid level, plus bring my blood pressure and cholesterol levels down. However, there is no guarantee that my transplant team will change their minds at all. If no other donor is found for my friend, then six months is just what the wait time will be. It seems like such a long time, but not compared to what the donor wait list is.... It really needs to happen before he has to go on dialysis, but we can only hope...

So now I have to lose weight, and I am not what you would call obese at all. But I need to get about 20 to 25 pounds off and two of their issues should be resolved. It beats the Hell out of me how I will lower the uric acid levels, but I will do some research on the Net.

I want to thank the folks who posted such kind words of encouragement here, and also thanks to those who wrote directly to me. I really, really appreciate the support, and I am now going to have to walk the Nutrition Straight and Narrow Path.

5 Comments:

At 12:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grab that glimmer and hang on with both fists!!
Are you working with a Licensed Nutritionist? If not, please consider it. They should be able to create an eating program for you that takes all your needs (weight loss, lowering cholesterol and uric acid) into account.

God Bless and Good Luck!

 
At 10:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there, girl!

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger Ranny Levy said...

Do more research. A close friend of mine was a kidney donor three years ago and has suffered from a hiatal hernia ever since. She was extremely healthy and due to the botched surgery, her life and health have radically changed. The medical professionals do not adequately prepare potential donors for the possibility of these failures.

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Ladi Dadi said...

If you can afford it, consider a personal trainer. I coughed up the money for one three months ago and I have never been happier! This isn't the first time I have tried to get in shape but it is the first time it has actually worked! My jeans formerly known as my 'skinny jeans' got retired yesterdy because they're way too big and I accidentally mooned someone when I bent over!

You can do it!

 
At 12:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I donated a kidney at UCSF to a family member 10 days ago. I barely made it by the team's scrutiny, and was undergoing rigorous testing just days before the surgery to satisfy their concerns. Though it was very frustrating, I realize now that my future health and well being was their utmost concern, and I appreciate that. Do the best you can, but don't attempt to bear the burden of the future of your friend's health - you are doing literally all you can do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home