Monday, January 01, 2007

Wishing everyone a Happy and Peaceful 2007... I am in the final count-down for my testing date, January 3rd, at UCSF Kidney Transplant Center. I am now in the phase of specimen collecting, which is disgusting, to say the least. And discussed thoroughly in my last posting, so no need to say more. However, I will tell you that I went to a hardware store and bought a funnel....

I am now watching what I eat and all good things are, of course, restricted and a No-No. No champagne or goodies last night - I just watched Anderson Cooper on CNN. The guy has kinda grown on me since I saw him interviewed on Larry King Live. I think he is actually a good guy, not just a plastic news celeb.

Have been on the treadmill daily, overcoming - no - enduring a couple of bothersome things. As I mentioned, I had what I thought was an Achilles strain, and it is actually a medial arch strain or some kind of injury. So I went on the Net and found a site that showed how to tape it. I got the tape, but the second time I was on the treadmill, the tape rubbed two blisters on the top of my foot - the metatarsal area where I am using the tape to anchor the medial arch taping. Rats! Just what I needed... Obviously, the art of sports injury taping can’t be learned from the Internet...

So the next day, I cover the raw blisters with band aids and tape over it. Great - but when I get home, I discover another huge blister on the side of my foot. Crap - I can’t win for losing.... So, since then, I’ve just covered the blisters and haven’t taped my arch. If I don’t put the treadmill level above 5 or so, and don’t go above 4 mph, it seems OK.

Can’t remember if I told you my latest surprise - I get to have an endoscopy test. I’m telling you, they are determined to get me from both ends! This glorious procedure is scheduled for January 9th... Somewhere in between or around, will be the CT Angiogram.... It ain’t over till it’s over, as they say about baseball games and kidney donor testing....

Being a kidney donor involves a lot of time, energy and money, as I am finding out. I got nailed for $1,000 deductible on my private insurance for the required mammogram and colonoscopy, but a friend and great supporter has generously offered to cover that for me. What a wonderful person - I am eternally grateful to him, and it surely restores faith in the kindness and humanity in this world...

1 Comments:

At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wish I was there to help you with the taping, (just completed a Kinesio Taping course and am in the process of being a "certified taper". Cool stuff. You are the best.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home