Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Happy Holidays!

Can't resist making an elf of myself.... Click on the Happy Holidays above to see me do the donor dance.... Kidney Donors Rock, ya know...

Workouts going well.... Managed to lose five pounds as a side benefit of my time at the gym. Or being totally full of water all the time... Now I'm waiting for the big packet to arrive from UCSF... Will have all my instructions and a schedule for my big T-Day on January 3rd. I may call them this afternoon to make sure they don't forget! Do they "forget" this kind of stuff? Who knows, but it is Holiday Season and people may be taking time off from work. I'd feel like a fool if I just sat around and waited and it never arrived....

I'm dealing with an unexpected area about being a kidney donor... Out of pocket $$$$ cost to me... I was told be UCSF that I had to have a mammogram and a colonoscopy before I would be approved as a donor, and that it was at my expense. Everything else is covered by the recipient's insurance company. Well, it turns out that I have a $1,000 deductible on my new insurance, and of course, being new, it hasn't been met yet.

I was absolutely astounded at the charges for the colonoscopy - I've never had one before. A total of $6068.00 - OMG - Unbelievable! I guess that I will owe $1,000 of it, but honestly, I don't trust that Blue Cross won't find a way to wiggle out of paying some of it... I'll betcha a dollar that I end up paying a bunch more than that...In any event, I don't exactly have $1k floating around in my jean's pocket. As a single woman in the rich Silicon Valley, I am struggling to survive, like all the other women here that I know...

Of course, I would do it anyway.. Absolutely... If I had known about the cost ahead of time, do you think I would not have offered? Nonsense, of course I would. My friend's life is worth more than a piddly $1k in the grand scheme of things... No problem - I'll deal with it.... I'll just keep dancing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home