Tuesday, November 28, 2006

So I am training on a daily basis - working my fanny off. You’d think I was gonna run the New York Marathon instead of donating a kidney. My buddy, Pete, has offered to be my personal trainer. I’ve known Pete for a long time - he was my first spinning instructor, and he’s run boot camp workouts. He’s also now a manager for Club One - they have great health clubs... So I am reporting in to Pete every night via email about what I’ve had to eat, how much water I drink, and how my workouts are going. Stretch out, he keeps telling me.

I am working out at least five days a week, doing cardio plus weights. Before, I was spinning twice a week and not much else, so this is a killer for me right now. I’ve been on this program a little over a week - my muscles are moaning and groaning, especially my calf muscles. My program is to keep a steady heart rate - later we’ll add intervals, Pete says. So for now, I’m 45 to 60 minutes on the treadmill, and then working out on the weight machines for at least another 20 - 30 minutes. Man, I didn’t realize how time-consuming this would be, by the time I drive to the gym, stretch out, work out, stretch out and drive back home.... This is like a part-time job! I told one of my friends that all I do is exercise, drink water and pee....

But, I can feel my body getting stronger already. My measuring gauge is going to be the stairs up to my office - I’ve been panting like a dog by the time I get to the top of those damn stairs. The day I arrive at the top, breathing easy, is gonna tell me that I’m back in shape, and ready for the stress treadmill testing ... Motivation? It’s not difficult, I just keep telling myself that I’m doing it for Chris.

Somebody asked me about what people say when they find out that I’m donating a kidney. Almost everybody is really supportive, and think it’s terrific. I’ve only had one person say something weird - she said something like, “Well, what if he dies, then you will have just wasted a kidney”. Jeeze, I could hardly believe what I was hearing... Being civil, I just said, “That was not one of the considerations in my decision”. Hell, any kidney recipient could get hit by a truck, or by lightening, after the surgery and not survive. It’s interesting how many people say that they might donate to a relative, but they would have to think a lot before deciding to give a kidney to a friend - they aren’t sure that they would do it for a friend.... Would you? Would that make a difference?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home