Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Wow - Hard to believe so much time has passed and still nothing. USF seems to have just abandoned the effort . My friend hears nothing from them. To update, during the testing, it was discovered that I have a thickening of my left ventricular wall, so the kidney transplant team decided I could not donate. In spite of my passing all cardio testing, particularly the stress treadmill test with great results.

But, I was told that maybe twenty years down the line I might have a problem and what if it affected the remaining kidney. Hell, I've never had a problem with my kidneys and there is no kidney disease in my family history. Why would they think if I had a problem with my heart that it would affect my kidney? I am as healthy as a horse and have never been sick in my life.

I took the results of my echocardiogram to my family doc, and he said it was ridiculous to deny me as a donor based on what he saw. The thickening is miniscule. He then referred me for a consult with the Head of Nuclear Cardiology at my medical group. This doc looked at the echocardiogram and said he saw nothing that should prevent me from donating a kidney. He recommended that my friend go somewhere else to have the transplant done, 'cause he didn't think any other organization would reject me as a donor.

So, here we are, a year and a half later. My friend has been waiting four years. And here I am, a perfect match in every way for him. What a ridiculous waste. All so somebody can cover their asses for liability purposes... And my friend's insurance won't cover him going anywhere else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home